Museo del Vetro
The easiest way to visit Murano is on a private or small-group sightseeing tour of the Venetian Lagoon. These tours also may include stops in Burano, famous for its lace-making and brightly colored houses; Torcello, a sparsely populated island in the northern tip of the lagoon; and Mazzorbo, known for its vineyards and orchards.
Tours may feature glass-blowing shows and lace-making demonstrations, and some offer options for a jewelry workshop where you can make your own masterpiece using Murano glass beads. Tours include transportation, so you don’t have to navigate the sometimes confusing Venice water bus schedule on your own.
Things to Know Before You Go
Murano’s Museum of Glass is a must-see for visitors interested in traditional handicrafts and art.
Expect to spend about an hour touring the museum’s exhibits.
The Museum of Glass is fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
From the San Zaccaria stop just outside St. Mark’s Square in Venice, take vaporetto water-bus line 4.1 or 4.2 to the Museo stop on Murano. Or, catch the vaporetto from the Fondamente Nove stop, a 10-minute walk from the Rialto Bridge. The museum is located in the Palazzo Giustinian, a quick 1-minute walk from the Museo stop.
When to Get There
The Museo del Vetro is open from 10:30am to 6pm April through October and 10:30am to 4:30pm November through March. Although less crowded than the main attractions in Venice, the Venetian islands do get busy during the summer months. Catch the first ferry to Murano if you wish to avoid the crowds, or visit from November through February when the islands are relatively quiet.
Murano Glass Blowing Demonstrations
If you’re intrigued by Venetian glass, you won’t want to miss a Murano glass blowing demonstration. Book a tour that includes a visit to a glass factory or artisan workshop and watch as a master craftsmen demonstrates the art of blowing glass. You’ll see how the glass is made and how it is sculpted to create elegant shapes and designs.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Madonna dell’Orto Church (Chiesa della Madonna dell'Orto)
- Venice Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli)
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Venetian Lagoon (Laguna Veneta)
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Rialto Fish Market (Mercato di Rialto)
- Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto)
- Campo San Bartolomeo
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Venice Jewish Ghetto (Ghetto di Venezia)