Inner Northwest Portland – specifically around NW 21st and NW 23rd – is one of the most popular in the city center for shopping, entertainment, and dining. It also has a memorable nickname: the Alphabet District.
You might not notice the reason for the name immediately, especially if you're taking your time meandering from one shop-lined block to another, but the streets in the quadrant that run east-west are in alphabetical order – from Burnside, Couch, Davis, Everett, and Flanders on up through Wilson. There's an A street further east (Alder), but it doesn't continue up far enough to be part of this district.
The Alphabet District is historically one of Portland's most desirable neighborhoods – there are beautiful Victorian-style houses in the residential blocks and sought-after condo buildings. One of the city's oldest independent movie theaters, Cinema 21, is on NW 21st Avenue. Nature lovers may enjoy staying in this part of the city because of its ready access to Portland's huge city park, Forest Park, which stretches into the hills west of the neighborhood.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Alphabet District hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Alphabet District?
- Best of Portland Afternoon City Tour
- Best of Portland Morning City Tour
- Portland Brewery Bike Tour
- 60 Minute Vacation Photography Session with Local Photographer in Portland
Things to do near Portland
- Things to do in Oregon
- Things to do in Seattle
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Vancouver
- Things to do in Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Vancouver Island
- Things to do in Whistler
- Things to do in Lake Tahoe
- Things to do in Santa Rosa
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Oakland
- Things to do in Washington
- Things to do in British Columbia
- Things to do in Alberta